Thursday, 16 February 2012


We got a new brief to design two double page spreads and a front cover for an architecture magazine called ARKITEKT.
On the brief we were given a list of buildings to research and take photographs of in Wolverhampton.
Here are some I gathered ...

Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Semester One - Type Finalised

I have entered into the crazy whirl-wind of semester two, where for typography I have already done two tasks and started a main project.
As I came to update my blog with new work I realised I hadn't yet uploaded my final pieces from semester one.
So, here they are ...

 This is the final front cover - I am personally very happy with how it came out.
I used a simple typeface (Helvetica Neue) and tried to create a 'colour-scheme' even though it's in black and white. I purposely used the colours behind the articles in that order because that is the order in which the colours flow on the shark.
I added a barcode which I created myself just to add a bit more authenticity to it.

This is my final 'Hello and Welcome' page. I am also happy with how this turned out.
I think the spacing works extremely well and the hierarchy helps the reader to know what to read first and what is grouped together.
I originally had the ampersand touching the centre fold but last minute decided to move to over (to line up with the text). I did this because I didn't want it to get lost in the fold.
If I was to do it again I would probably/maybe change the size of the photograph.
This is my personal zine. I actually love this.
I think it fits the brief perfectly and it would appeal to the student audience (as it is an interesting article and the imagery has comedy factor to it).
The reason I put a black boarder around the page is because I wanted the illustrations to be coming out the edges (because if they came out the centre, it wouldn't have looked as good and would possibly get lost). We got told we needed to allow room for bleeding so I put the black boarder around so that it was planned/strategically placed. If I didn't put it on the illustrations could be cut or look like they were floating.
The only problem with my design is that the 'U' and 'H' and right in the centre fold and could potentially get lost.